Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Introduction to Me

My name is Jonathan Midgett.

          I play tenor saxophone in the marching, concert, and jazz band. Music is the thing I am most passionate about. I play it, I write it, I sing it (very badly), and of course I listen to it. I've written a few songs but I mostly write freestyle verses. My favorite genres of music are punk (mostly metalcore and post-hardcore), rap, rock and jazz. My favorite artist is Ray Charles and my favorite song by him is Unchain My Heart. You'll see me waving my arms around like an idiot because I'm conducting the music I'm listening to. Because of that, I've found out why I could never be a drum major.

          I love to write. To me, it's one of the greatest ways to express myself and vent when I'm having hard times or even when I'm having good times. I said before that I've written songs and freestyle verses. Writing freestyle verses is so much fun because the rules of the English language don't have to apply. Of course you have to rhyme with verses but you get to play with the pronunciation of words. You get to switch up the order of your sentences to make them fit the rhythm of the beat you're writing to. When I don't want to be confined to the rhythm of a song I like to write spoken word. I mean, there is a rhythm to it but you get to make it. You get to change it whenever and however you want throughout the piece.

          That's really all the important stuff so I guess I'll wrap up with a few smaller details about myself. I run the mile and 800 meter in track. I'm a Chief Petty Officer in ROTC. One of my pupils is bigger than the other and I like to take long enthusiastic walks for no apparent reason (not without my headphones).

1 comment:

  1. Tenor saxophone was a good instrument choice because it makes the BEST jazz music. It is a good thing that you like to write because it usually keeps people doing something productive. Rhythm is awesome, glad you have some. The 800 meter event is a tough one, so congratulations. Long enthusiastic walks: enough said. Interpret that any way you want.

    ReplyDelete